Sender:
From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 11:35:25 -0400
Dear Martin,

You should consult Records of the Australian Museum, supplement 8 of 29
April 1988 titled A Revision of the Indo-West Pacific Fossil and Recent
Species  of Murex s.s. and Haustellum (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Muricidae) by
W. F. Ponder and E. H. Vokes.  It describes Murex spectabilis on pages 76-78
with photos in black and white.  Mal de Mer ( [log in to unmask]) has
this book listed in their latest catalog at $55.

location range:  All type material from the Philippines. One record from
Thailand.
habitat:  No info based on a quick scan of the description.
size range:  shells discussed are 87 to 135mm long.
color:  bluish grey: spiral cords and spines golden to pinkish brown;
apertural lips white, with dark brown spots in notches; interior of shell
pinkish brown with darker brown lirations.
general description: close to M. pecten, but has fewer spines.  Spines more
strongly recurved than other species in the M. pecten group, and protoconch
has only one and a half whorls rather than two to two and one half whorls.

Hope this info helps.

V/R
Bill Fenzan
Norfolk, VA