Sender:
From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:41:45 +0000
        At the risk of being accused of off-topicing "above and beyond the call..", allow me to defend my culinary preferences briefly:
        Our species is "omniverous" - like bears, racoons and Does anyone know if any molluscs attain true omnivorie (which cowries, for example, fit the bill best)?? -  we are ABLE to eat and digest reasonalbly well, a wide variety of food (some people can even digest the various forms of pseudo-edibles sold at Macdonald's!!)  - evolutionarily-speaking, this has MAJOR survival value!!  However, the question remains: What is an **Optimal** human diet - that which nourishes us the best, and helps
promote good overall health better than other dietary regimes??  While the jury is still out on the details, it is widely recognized and supported by many thoughoughly scientific studies, that in general the best results are achieved by a diet high in fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes, seeds of all kinds - a good, hearty variety of ingredients; and low on the animal flesh, refined sugars and fats, refined, concentrated or processed foods in general (one area where "refinement" is not
really a good thing!!), pre-formed chicken chunks, molds and such...  I do not personally believe that veganism (no animal products at all) is best for everyone: some concentrated B12 and iron sources are needed by many, and in some situations the variety and volume of an "optimal" vegan diet are difficult to obtain and/or manage.  That said, most folks eat more fat and protein than is good for them, and a signifigant reduction in animal-derived foods would do them more good than they might
think!
        As a little "bonus", the switch to a flesh-free (or drastically-reduced) diet is usually accompanied by a signifigant loss of weight!
Cheers,
Ross M.
--
Ross Mayhew:  Schooner Specimen Shells:  Http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com