Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 00:30:04 EDT
7bit
From:
April Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
In a message dated 8/3/1999 9:25:16 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 We found several conch shells in two old cemeteries of German
 immigrants,
 ca. 1850-1900.  Could you possibly tell me the symbolism involved?  The
 cemeteries are located in St. Charles County, MO a great distance from
 the
 ocean for immigrants in the middle to late 1800's.  Not easily supplied
 would think.  We found four conchs in all, very old!!

 Dick Schroeder and Phyllis Gumm

I don't know what culture originated the use of conchs but...
while I was visiting in the Bahamas I noted they would use conch shells in
much of their decorating.  It was in the masontry of their buildings (walls)
also.  My guess is that since it is a mainstay in the Bahamian diet, the
empty shells become cumbersome and have to be used for something.  [there
isn't much space to dump stuff on islands or a great deal of building tools.]
 Any way I noted that there were chonch shells in their cemetaries as well.
But I don't know it there was a symbolic reason for it.
April