Sender:
From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:51:42 -0500
Neither the operculum nor the parietal area color works every time.
Clenchi is generally more globose (lower spired) with a substantially
thinner shell (per unit size).  The color pattern of clenchi is less
variable consisting of the axial lines with little light colored triangles
or dots.  I admit that it is almost a gestahlt thing, but if you look at
enough it becomes very clear.  Again, clenchi is freshwater, virginea
brackish.
Kurt