Sender:
From:
"Andrew K. Rindsberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:37:47 -0500
Comments:
Yes, Eduardo, I am sure that to have a dentist as wife does ensure domestic
tranquility, through sincere fear if nothing else. (Now I am curious as to
how you met each other.)

A few ideas on useful indices/indexes:

It is useful to boldface or italicize the page number on which a species is
illustrated, rather than just mentioned.

New taxa should be singled out for special listing.

Useful categories to index include:
authors
keywords from titles
taxa (genera, species, and also family if that is the article is on, say,
muricids)
place names (perhaps also molluscan provinces?)
people's names (except author's names of species, like Gmelin)
biographies (including obituaries, with names of )
general subject matter (travelogues, shell dyes, color, trails, aquarium
observations, etc.)

Errata and letters written in response to articles should be linked with
authors. They can be awfully hard to find without an index.

Don't try to categorize too much. Save some time for using the index, not
just preparing it!

Any other ideas for good indexing?

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama