Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 06:57:51 -0400
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
To Paul and other malacobibliophiles,

Firstly, I am happy to see that Paul hasn't shuffled off this
electromagnetic coil.  His commentary is accurate and heuristic.  Without
concentrated, annotated sources, a researcher must languish in the halls of
(typically underendowed) libraries, pester colleagues for photocopies, and
generally proceed in a desultory fashion.  Just in the last week (honest,
now) I personally turned the pages of:

Binney, W. G., 1858.  The complete writings of Thomas Say on the conchology
of the United States.  pp 1-252 + vi + pls. i-lxxv. (mine lacks the plates).

Binney, W. G. and G. W. Tryon, Jr., 1864.  The complete writings of
Constantine Smaltz [sic] Rafinesque on Recent and fossil conchology.  pp
1-96 +7 + pls. LXX-LXXII. Ballière Bros., New York. (unattributed 1984
reprint).

Clench, W. J. and R. D. Turner, 1962.  New names introduced by H. A. Pilsby
in the Mollusca and Crustacea.  Acad Natural Sci Spec. Pub. 4: 1-218.

*Johnson, R. I., 1989.  Molluscan taxa of Addison Emery Verrill and
Katharine Jeannette Bush, including those introduced by Sanderson Smith and
Alpheus Hyatt Verrill. Occ. Pap. Moll. 5(67): 1-143. Aug. 30.

Scudder, N. P., 1885.  The published writings of Isaac Lea LL. D. Bull. U.
S. Nat. Mus. 29(23): 1-278 + lix. Sept.

Tryon, G. W., Jr. List of American writers on Recent Conchology with the
titles of their memoirs and their dates of publication. pp 1-68 (?missing
pp.). Ballière  Bros., New York. April 1.

**Wheeler, H. E., 1935.  Timothy Abbott Conrad, with particular reference
to his work in Alabama one hundred years ago.  Bull. Amer. Paleont. 23:
1-157 + i-x + portrait (P.R.I. reprint, 1977).

These works stand alongside the mostly British and Japanese giants Paul
cites in being essential and illuminating... and some are still
commercially available.  (link to Museum of Comparative Zoology for * and
to Paleontological Research Institution for ** through COA website, to
which you can link through our website below).

In the matter of cyber-bio-bibliography, I recommend C'L'er Kevin Cumming's
growing site
<http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu:80/~ksc/Malacologists/FamousMalacologists.html>
dedicated to historical aspects of non-marine malacology (admittedly mostly
Eastern U.S. naiad workers ("dead white men").  Kevin's email is
<[log in to unmask]>.  You can link to it from our homepage (below).

Harry