Sender:
From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:35:09 -0500
My club is having an informal "mini show" tonight and I am having trouble
identifying two of my shells.  Would someone please help?

The first is one collected in the Florida Keys.  At the time of collection
we were never able to identify it, and tentatively dubbed it ?Drilla.  It is
almost micro (you can see it with the naked eye), 9mm being the largest, and
looks like a very immature Melongena corona (Crown conch), except it is
black and white instead of brown and cream.  We collected several and this
is apparently the adult size of the shell.

The other is one we found on the Gulf of Mexico panhandle coast on the
beach.  I named it at the time Polygra cereolus (Waxy Polygyra), Muhlfeld,
1818.  It runs 15mm and smaller.  I can't find that name anywhere in the
Compendium, and now am not sure about it's name.  It is, I think, a land
snail.  It is waxy white, and looks like a flat coiled rope.

Would someone help me, please?

Sylvia

Sylvia S. Edwards
Huntsville, Alabama