Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:00:07 -0400
Dear B, BJ, J, A, et al.,

I cannot confirm the presence of C. aquatile in the Mediterranean Sea.

I can tell C. pileare from C. martinianum 100% of the time (so far that is).

Trans-isthmian (Central American) transfer of larvae hasn't occured
(naturally) since about 2.92 million years ago (according to one "estimate").

Cymatium parthenopeum (sensu lato)certainly rivals C. nicobaricum in its
geographic range having a better record at higher latitudes.

Clench and Turner (1957) noted the stability of shell morphology of several
species of Cymatium through the Cenozoic era (slow change in form of shells).

How do we know that d'Orbigny's description dates from 1846?

I take it the "west" coast of Panama is the Pacific one (see map).

See Jacksonville Shell Club Homepage (vide infra) for images of all taxa
described in this thread.

No more full literature citations for now.

Harry