Sender:
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:04:58 +0000
Dear Conch-Lers --

Wizzard wrote in two e-mails directed at Bill Mahavier
(whose e-mail address is Pacaggg): who are you!!?? prepare
for flaming.

We are getting concerned about the growing prickliness of
this once friendly list server.  We would hope that none of
us ever has to "prepare for flaming." We on this list are
conchologists first and computer nerds second, if at all. We
don't pretend to be "cool hacks" waiting to pounce on those
who don't follow the Joe Camelesque protocols imposed by
some netters. We shellers don't flame; especially when
others of us in our technically unsophisticated naiveté ask
basic computer questions.

So, we will answer the querulous question put to Bill --
"who are you!!?? Bill introduced himself quite well when he
first joined last month. But it will be our pleasure to
elaborate about this gentlemen. Bill Mahavier is a
consummate, venerable, exceedingly enthusiastic sheller of
some 40 to 50 years. He is a charter member of the 43
year-old San Antonio, Texas shell club. His programs about
micro shells are electrifying; and he has, for years, given
wonderful educational programs about shells to school
children throughout the San Antonio region.

We suspect he was reluctant at first to join Conch-L because
he did not know enough about computers, the internet, etc.
But he did join and as is Bill's nature he embraced Conch-L
with enthusiasm. Thank goodness the majority of us are not
jaded and sarcastic, so that he does, obviously enjoy this
newly-acquired fellowship.

He is new to the internet technology but one of the most
experienced conchologists on the net.

Great to have you with us Bill. Yes, you can attach pictures
to e-mail in what is known as either GIF format, or JPEG
(and some others we are sure so don't flame us if we don't
know all of them.)

John and Rosalie Taylor