Sender:
From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:49:37 -0400
Although I realize that this is not related to mollusks, since we have had
considerable discussion about "albinos"  over the past couple of days,
I thought I would forward this along.

In related mollusk activity, I have collected quite a few so-called Oliva
sayana
form citrina over the past ten years.  While the shells were, in most cases,
uniformly gold, I could not discern any difference between the animals of
the
gold specimens and those with the normally colored shells.  However, I have
seen specimens which were uniformely gold (except for the protoconch) that
suddenly began depositing the normal Oliva sayana coloration as they reached
the end of their growth. Very strange!

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, Florida 32246
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm