Sender:
From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:29:45 -0700
Lynn,
The idea of adding lighter fluid is to make a thinner coating of oil
on the shell. You put the oil/lighterfuid mixture on the shell,
then the lighter fluid evaporates, leaving a very thin layer of oil.
I've been told this works wonderfully, but have never done it myself.
Peter Egerton

>Walter Sage, before he was at the American Museum, maintained a nice
>collection which he sold when he went to New York to become Collections
>Manager at the AMNH.  He oiled his shells, and he always mixed lighter
>fluid with his mineral oil before applying it. He swore by this formula,
>and I always wondered what the lighter fluid did. He only said, when
>asked, "Works better!" Anyone know? I never tried it, being at the time
>a smoker and afraid I'd light my shells (or myself) on fire.
>
>Lynn Scheu
>Louisville KY

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca