Sender:
From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:23:34 -0400
>Also, will Everclear pass for concentrated ethanol?

I have not tried it myself, but I believe that it would work well.  I have
heard that gin is stong enough to preserve specimens for DNA work, though
the message did not specify the proof.  It is also important that the
specimen be alive until pickling, as DNA is degraded rapidly.  You may need
to cut the adductors to ensure that the clam cannot close its shell and
keep out the ethanol until after it dies.

Thanks for all the offers to collect!

David Campbell

"Old Seashells"

Department of Geological Sciences
CB 3315 Mitchell Hall
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3315
USA

919-962-0685
FAX 919-966-4519

"He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The
Gold Bug