Sender:
From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:05:25 -0800
Sandro,

I've seen many diferent methods for numbering collection specimens,
some using letters and numbers which imply meaning, but I found that
sticking with the easiest is best:
I use simple numbers (eg. #1434)
All the shells of the same species from the same lot (same place, same
date) get the same number.
I considered using numbers and letter to show classification or
locality somehow, but if you do that and the classification changes,
the shell doesn't have locality data, or is unidentified,
then you run into problems.
Hope this helps,
Peter

>Ken,
>I am interested in some suggestion for numbering, numbering systems, etc.
>Thanks in advance
>Sandro (from Italy)

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca