Sender:
From:
Lucy Clampit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 21:08:13 -0600
Greetings,
Sorry to go back to an old subject, but have had a hard time keeping up with Conch-L lately.  In July of 1976 we collected some green sayana in the Bay at Port St. Joe, Florida. They were alive.  My husband saw them first and thought he had found a new species. (He just finds them.  I have to do the rest.)  I'm an olive person and have collected, traded or bought sayana from all along the Gulf of Mexico coast and the east coast of Florida but have never seen green ones from any other location.  I just now looked at them again.  The green is gone.  The green area was on the back just below the suture.  At the time I felt that it was algae on the shell and only brought 3 home.   One of them is rough in the green area and looks as thought something ate away part of the glossy outer layer.  It is now white in that area.   The other two are grayish in the area and are smooth and glossy as though they applied a layer of shell over the green stuff.  I believe that there was a paper mill in the area at the time.  Could it have discharged something into the water that caused this?  Have any of the collectors who live in that area seen any green olives?  We have been back a few times since and haven't found green ones again.

I had some sayana in an aquarium for a couple of years and fed them shrimp.  They probably would have lived a lot longer if we hadn't moved.  We had to leave the aquarium on the patio overnight, and it turned a little too cold for them.  The shell that they added while in the aquarium is white and chalky.

Lucy Clampit
Houston, Texas - location of the 2000 COA Convention.  Ya'll come!