Sender:
From:
Robert & Betty Lipe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 08:05:40 -0500
Dear green olive collectors.  I've read all of your opinions on the
olives, and my opinion is that the olive covered some vegetable matter
underneath the layer it adds and chlorophyl started growing, but it
happened usually on the older olives that couldn't cover themselves
during the day and they were exposed to sunlight.  I see this on music
volutes and helmets who can't cover their shell with their mantle and
part of the shell is not under the sand during the day.  I've even seen
it on senile Marginellas that did cover the area, but it soon fades when
placed in the dark, or when bleached.  Although the bleach can't reach
the covered layers on the olives and Marginellas like it can on the
other shells.  I've seen green Cowries also.  Hey, I'm not a chemist,
but that is my opinion, so the next time you brush your teeth use an
olive shell.

Bob Lipe

Check us out at our Website: www.theshellstore.com
348 Corey Ave , St. Pete Beach, FL 33706
727-360-0586      Fax 727-360-3668