Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:58:41 -0500
Dear Roland, et al.,

When Jacksonville fisherman refer to a "cuttlefish," they usually mean
Sepioteuthis sepioidea.

We also call Donax spp. "periwinkles."

Harry

At 07:05 AM 11/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Andrew, Ferreter, et al.,
>There are no cuttlefish in American waters. Abbott is correct in that
regard. We have the Caribbean reef squid which looks like a cuttlefish and
hence its name: Sepioteuthis sepioidea. A different species Sepioteuthis
lessoniana is sometimes found in Hawaii.
>Roland
>
>Roland C. Anderson, Puget Sound Biologist
>The Seattle Aquarium
>1483 Alaskan Way
>Seattle WA 98101 USA
>phone: 206-386-4359
>See our website: www.seattleaquarium.org

>Dear Bob and Mark,
>
>Actually a couple of divers have told me about their cuttlefish
>sightings.  One told me he sees them at night off  Palm Beach all the
>time.  The second edition of American Seashells (page 571) says that they
>are not found in these waters.
>
>Andrew Dickson

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, Fl. 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm