Sender:
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:20:35 +1300
My e-mails to Jose keep coming back "host unknown", so I'm sending this via
Conch-L.

Sending returned mail message separately.

Dear Jose

I tried to reply to your message yesterday, but it came back "user
unknown"! So I'm trying again.

Yep, I put my foot in it. I have a photocopy of Gofas' paper right here and
forgot all about it before shooting my mouth off...of course Sinistrella
still lives.

I remember (having hard copy helps me remember!) you sent an enquiry on
30-1-99, asking if I was interested in exchange. I reoplied that i would,
but heard nothing more from you until your Sinistrella reply. Are you
interested still? Your original message contained an attachment which the
work computer somehow deleted, so I never saw it. I now see that it was a
JPEG of Punctiscala cerigottana. I wouldn't mind seeing it, as that is a
species I am not familiar with.

At present I am pretty much out of exchange material, except for Cookia
sulcata and Astraea heliotropium, which I have in some numbers. However I
should start to receive fisheries bycatch within 2 weeks, I am told, and
should then begin to accumulate stock of larger shells (I don't imagine
much small stuff will come up in Pecten or fish nets, though I can always
hope). If I get a decent supply I will send you a list, if you like.

Do you have Sinistralia or Sinistrella for exchange? Epitoniids? Your area
sounds very interesting, and I have almost nothing of your local species.

So far I have not found enough NZ epitoniids to have spares for exchange; I
may get a few grotty worn incomplete ones, but decent ones of any species I
can count on the proverbial fingers of one hand. These better, though not
necessarily complete, specimens number approximately: Acirsa cookiana
(Dell) 1, A. nsp 1, Cirsotrema zelebori 5, Opalia maxwelli 4, Cylindriscala
nsp 4, Epitonium (Gyroscala) nsp 4. Those I intend to describe, if I ever
get around to finishing and publishing the paper, will go to Museum of New
Zealand as holotypes, leaving me with no specimen in some cases. I keep
hoping for more and better, but they never seem to eventuate.

Turridae and Rissoidae I have, as I said previously, good dead specimens
from 300-650m. Any other families/genera you particularly like? From the
same hauls also are large Anatoma (4-5mm), various Skeneidae, Homalopoma,
Iothia, Euthrenopsis, Ovaginella, Dentimargo etc. Bivalves also, such as
Cuspidaria, Neolepton etc.

Regards
Andrew

mailing address