Sender:
From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 01:40:31 -0800
Welcome to CONCH-L,
The internet is FULL of seashell websites, many of them with 100s or 1000s
of photos.
Here are a few of the best sites I use on a regular basis:

Guido Poppe's huge site:
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/

Eddi Hardy's:
http://www.gastropods.com/shell_pages/index.html

Cowrie Genomic Database Project:
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/people/cpm/CGDP/CGDP.html

Conidae _ The Giancarlo Collection:
http://www.geocities.com/coneshells/

Exchange - George Sangiouloglou:
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Plaza/1821/exchange.html

Homepage of Felix Lorenz(Great Cypraea and Conus sections):
http://home.t-online.de/home/Felix.Lorenz/

The Molluscs Net:
http://www.molluscs.net/collectorsf.htm

Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm

Molluscan Pictures - (huge Singaporian site!):
http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~chansy/

That's just a tiny sample of what is out there!!!
Have fun surfing. Join in on our informative conversations
here on CONCH-L.

Cheers,
Peter Egerton
Vancouver, Canada

>Hi everyone!
>My name is Barbara Jouvernaux and I have just joined from Cambridge, New
Zealand. I have had an obsession with shells since I was about 9 or 10 years
old, and accumulated quite a decent collection for a youngster up until I
married 15 years ago. My husband is french, and he wisked me off to France
to live. Being poor, young and impetuous I sold my collection, thinking that
it would not travel well and we could use the money. I will regret it as
long as I live. We ended up returning to settle in NZ a year later.
>Since then I have not had much time or money to put into another
collection. For a long time I was so emotional about my lost colleciton I
felt that I could never replace it, so I avoided starting up again.
>Then about 18 months ago my sister unearthed a box of shells I had given
her years ago. They were spares from my old collection. At the time she
fancied that she might start a collection too, but never carried on.
>That was it- I was off again and with more passion than ever. My collection
is still very modest and amateurish, but I am in there for the long haul
this time. My youngest daughter has begun to take an interest, so I hope it
will continue into the next generation.
>I have since discovered that almost all the dealers here in NZ have
disappeared. Shell collectors are litterally a dying breed. Most other
collectors here are elderly people. Is there anyone out there under 40?
>I enjoy surfing the net. There seems to be quite a lot of interesting shell
stuff to be found. I have yet to find a good site to identify shells with
photos. I haven't yet acquired enough books to be able to match pictures
with names of everything I learn about or come across.

Collector of worldwide Mollusca
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/seashell/index.html