From:
Bill Mahavier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:45:06 EST
                             HELP

       Of the many specimens of  PHALIUM  granulatum

that I have collected on the central Texas Beaches,

one stands out.  The one I’m referring to must have

been sick, demented or maybe just retarded.

             Why?   Well, it has no thickened outer lip!

True, It could have been in the middle of a growth

period when it died but that doesn’t explain the

numerous thickened outer lips that were not removed

(dissolved)  before previous growth periods started.

       It is relatively small,  1 1/2 inches,  for its species

but there is no doubt about it being a Scotch Bonnet.

        One more question,  please.  How long does it

take for this species to dissolve its existing lip, enlarge

the body whorl and replace the lip?

           Thanks,      Bill

P.S.  In a few days I’ll have a scanned photo of the

shell that I  can attach to my E-Mail letters, for any

one that’s interested.