From:
Jeff Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:33:04 -0500
I had not even thought of including keys in an online database,
just merely the data itself.  But what a great idea to be able
to view online the logic/keys that authors use to categorize
specimens.  There had to be logic there sometime otherwise we
would not have any taxonomic structure.  Probably too difficult
to get a consensus on logic rather than just data.

I see the online database, sans keys, with taxonomic data,
remarks, pictures, maps, and maybe sound files with accepted
pronunciations.  Maybe 3D rotations of examples of the higher
taxons.  Keys later?

Some of the virtues of an online database:

1)  The internet has provided a change in medium, similar to the
transition from oral history to print and radio to television.
Allowing information to be distributed to social economic
classes that may not other wise ever have the ability to
appreciate this branch of science.  A responsibility of
knowledge is sharing it.

2)  The 3d example of Lyria delessertiana,
http://www.arborrosebardstown.com/Conch-L/Lyria.html
illustrates the ability to zoom, and manually rotate and
inspect.  These are features that still pictures, animated
images and even video sequences do not match.

Jeff

If any technical people are inclined to help (Bob?), please
contact off list.  I think a pilot, demo site is needed to
conceptualize this.