Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:11:24 EST
As you might expect, there have been many recent articles on  - man or woman
of the century - athlete - statesman - scholar - chimney sweep of the
century, or whatever.  What has struck me in the few I have read is that
virtually none of the proposed individuals date from more than 25 years ago!
Are we really that much "better" today in all areas of human accomplishment
than they were 75 years ago??  Or is it just confusion over the meaning of
the word "century"?
OK, I nominate Henry Pilsbry for "conchologist of the century"!
Paul M.