From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:20:44 +1300
Someone offer to me a fossil tooth from the shark under the name
 CHARCADON MEGALADON &quot; high 108 mm. wide 80 mm.I did not know the
fossil.All renseignememts Emmanuel

Careful, Carcharodon megalodon is only one of a number of large extinct
species in this genus. It may well be the largest however. The genus goes
back at least as far as somewhere in Eocene time.

C.megalodon appears to be in the direct lineage of C.carcharias, our
present-day and greatly misunderstood species.

I have had the pleasure of preparing the only known specimen of
C.angustidens (late Oligocene) to comprise a complete set of teeth (over
155) and vertebrae. It would have been perhaps 7 meters long; the largest
teeth are about 10cm, smallest 7mm. The teeth are very different from the
C.carcharias lineage. All other specimens are isolated dropped teeth and
the odd vertebra inferred to have come from this species.

Andrew G