From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:20:00 -0500
OK, I took the 3-hour drive to take advantage of the low tide at Ft.
Fisher, NC. I bundled up with several layers. Still it was more pleasant
when the sun peeked out. The tide didn't seem especially low and I didn't
find much in the way of shells. However, there seemed to be more sharks'
teeth than usual.

But I also found what looks to me like a fossil horse's tooth. Nearly two
inches long by an inch wide. It occurs to me that large horses didn't get
to the New World until very recently. Maybe it's another large cud-chewer?
Pre-historic horse-shark? Any ideas out there among the fossil enthusiasts?

-David
Durham, NC