Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 23:33:39 EST
In a message dated 12/23/1999 10:21:56 PM EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<
 But I also found what looks to me like a fossil horse's tooth. Nearly two
 inches long by an inch wide. It occurs to me that large horses didn't get
 to the New World until very recently. Maybe it's another large cud-chewer?
 Pre-historic horse-shark? Any ideas out there among the fossil enthusiasts?

 -David >>
Dear David,
  According to my understanding, horses and camels originated here in
Florida, spread over much of the rest of the world and then became extinct
here. There were then no horses here until the Spaniards brought them back
during the 1500's or so. And the only camels were those imported into the
U.S. during the settling of the Western U.S.
     Carole Marshall