From:
Sarah Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 08:31:37 EST
    I thought I would share this rather humorous/amazing story that unfolded
yesterday in my bedroom.
     Last August I went on a quick trip to Smith Island (a small island in
the Chesapeake Bay). While my traveling companion went to the museums, etc.,
I went into the marshes looking for molluscan inhabitants. I only found two
species of snails: Melampus bidentatus and Littorina irrorata. (The
population of Crassostrea virginica is zero due to problems with DSX in that
portion of the bay and I don't think the salinity is high enough for
Mercenaria mercenaria.) I brought home a few of each just to watch for a few
weeks and then bring them back (and have another excuse to take the ferry)
    Anyway, when I got home, I set up a small 2.5 gallon tank with some marsh
mud and grass and put the snails on in. The tank ended up sitting on a table
that sits under a novelty street sign that reads "Snail X-ing". Well, one
day, I accidentally left the lid off the tank while I to work. I came home
and of course I had snail trails all over my wall and table. Even more
entertaining was the sight of 4 Littorinas congregating on the snail x-ing
sign. I took them all off the table and wall and placed them back in the tank
and thought nothing more of it. Remember, this was all in August. I brought
the snails back to the original collection site a few weeks later and
promptly forgot all about the experience. As the semester progressed, my room
became the usual disaster area that normally accumulates during the school
year. Since we are having remodeling done two days after I get back from
Sanibel, I figured I should shovel out the dump. Well, this morning, a
flashback to the snail house occurred. As I was clearing out from under my
bed I found a Littorina shell. Thinking it looked rather fresh and beautiful,
I looked inside. The little guy is STILL ALIVE. The poke and stench tests
were all passed (he moved when poked, and didn't stink).  So now it is Dec.
24, and I am leaving for Florida tomorrow morning. I can't get back to Smith
Island until May because the public ferry is not running. My problem is what
to do with the lonely little snail that survived my room for 4 months. I am
thinking I should put him back under the bed and forget all about him until
May arrives. Anyone have any other suggestions? (Boiling, Freezing, or
Alcohol are not options)

Happy Holidays,
Sarah

Sarah R. Watson