From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:30:39 -0500
Dear Andrew,

Joyce Allen in her book Cowry Shells of World Seas lists Macrocypraea zebra
dissimilis Schilder, 1924 as "A South-east Brazilian race.  The shell
appears to be an abnormal form of Macrocypraea zebra.  It is dark red-brown
in colour, with lateral spots obsoletely or not ocellated."

In the Prodrome of a Monograph on Living Cypraea, the Schilders add to
this..."The Brazilian shells..., to which the abnormal dissimilis may
belong, seem to differ from the Northern zebra ... by the darker red-brown
colour, which extends dorsally above the extremities, being more
accentuated, by the lateral spots not ocellated though large, and by the
less numerous teeth."  Range is listed as from S. Paulo (San Sebastiao) to
Pernambuco.

If you need more information on the shells of Brasil, suggest you contact
Jose & Marcus Coltro.  They are very knowledgeable and friendly.

I have one specimen from the Florida Keys, two shells from the West Indies
and one specimen from Brasil.  The southern shell looks just like the two
from the West Indies, but different from the one collected in Florida.  More
ocellated spots on the sides and longer teeth on the southern ones.   This
is not a big enough sample.  Perhaps others on the list with more shells
will take up the thread and provide more info.  Hope this helps.

Bill

William J. Fenzan
401 Sinclair St.
Norfolk, VA  23505-4359