From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:11:52 -0500
Diana,

As per your message below, I'm sorry, but as I read the posts I
got the distinct impression that people were volunteering
information on how to save the "hermies" -- not kill them.
Considering the effort of blowing across the shell or giving the
crab a different shell as a "trade" is a far cry from boiling them.
Personally, I never take a shell with a hermit crab in it. But the
folks on this list are presenting alternatives and should be
given a pat on the back for that.

Most sincerely,
Jim Miller

>This post really hit me hard.  I happen to have 13
>hermit crabs as pets.  May I suggest simply
>leaving shells with hermit crabs alone?  Sorry,
>but I just have to say something.  It takes a lot
>of experimenting to learn to keep these wonderful
>creatures ALIVE so I am totally upset at seeing a
>way to voluntarily kill them.
>
>Diana Pederson
>Lansing, MI

Jim Miller