From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:57:22 -0500
Dear Linda,

in the checklist delle specie della fauna italiana a cura die A. Minelli, S. Ruffo, S. La Posta,
part 17, Bivalvia, Scaphopoda by Daniele Bedulli, Lucio Castagnolo, Fernando Ghisotti,
Gianni Spada, 1995
they are under the
Genus Chlamys
Chlamys glabra (Linnaeus, 1758)
Chlamys proteus (Dillwyn, 1817)
both considered as different species.

In Lindner G.: Muscheln und Schnecken der Weltmeere, BLV, newest version
under
Flexopecten glabra (Linnaeus, 1758)
He doesn't mention
proteus, but when this species would be in this book, he would mentioned it under the same
genus.

I saw many specimens of both species, sometimes very hard to distinguish.

Hope this helps for the moment.

Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Innsbruck
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web:    www.netwing.at/nisters/

office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck

Feldstrasse 11 a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37

All right, here come some more questions;  I am progressing each day on my pecten recataloguing.  IS Proteopecten (valid genus?)  proteus a subspecies of glaber, same genus  (I am not including full scientific name, as I figure most of you who are "into" pectens know what I am talking about)  It certainly has fewer ribs than glaber.  I have a nice big brown one that I got from a dealer recently (proteus, that is) that shows all of the characteristics very well.  What do you think or know? Linda, the pecten afficianado