Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:23:50 EST
In a message dated 01/13/2000 4:08:52 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<  Well, most clubs are run by the
 old timers, as well they should (perhaps), and they have been there done
 that, so getting speakers, putting on a program, etc., is a real production
 because we had this or we had that in the past. >>
As past president of two clubs I have to put in my two cents. The clubs are
run by the "OLD TIMERS" because NO ONE wants to do anything. In most clubs
there is the attitude of "ENTERTAIN ME!!!" Joni, If you want to do some good,
join your local club and volunteer. If you want to discuss a certain thing,
volunteer to lead the discussion, lead a field trip lead something, don't
just complain. You want to feel you belong??? come down here to Palm Beach. I
need doers desperately!!! I get complaints of NO FIELD TRIPS whine whine,
then I go to a lot of trouble putting one together and no one shows up. Try
to put on a shell show, well I am having one, but it is almost single
handedly. No one wants the job of program chairman, I did it for Broward for
4 years and for Palm Beach for about 6 years, I need relief. Don't just
complain, join and volunteer. I am soooo tired of hearing things like "The
club (several not just the two mentioned in this note) is run by a clique",
Bull. It is run by anyone willing to do ANYTHING!!!
            Carole Marshall
past President of Broward Shell Club, present (and also past) President of
Palm Beach County Shell Club.