From:
Wayne Harland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:09:41 -0500
Harry et al.

In reviewing my copy of Conchological Illustrations -- Sowerby's original description was listed as Murex Saulii (the capitalization an obvious respect to patronymic reference) but also includes a reference to the Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London in 1840.  Many of Sowerby's nobis species in Conchological Illustrations had their real descriptions in the Proceedings.  Sowerby's exact description in Conch. Illus. Is:

M. Saulii, Sow. Jun, Zool. Proc. 1840.  Con. Illus. F. 77.  A dwarf variety is brought from Ticao, Philippines by Mr. Cuming.

As Harry pointed out, Reeve corrected the gender by replacing the Sowerby "I" with "ae" and made the same patronymic distinction of capitalizing the species name to render the name Murex Sauliae.  He also cites the Proceedings as the reference for the species.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that original description.  I'll bet one of our museum-based experts might have access to this volume.

Wayne Harland
[log in to unmask]  http://www.gate.net/~wharland

"The trouble with doing something right the first time
is the no one realizes how difficult it really was."