From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:51:13 -0500
>But one other aspect of this name game that is not talked about too often, but
>>has long been recognized, and occasionally utilized, is the possibility of
>naming a species after someone you want to DIShonor -someone who rubs you
>the wrong way, or who is on your blacklist for whatever reason.  You can
>perpetually dishonor the object of your ire by attaching his family name, or
>even his full name, to some species of grotesque, blood-sucking,
>pestilence-carrying vermin.  There it will remain until the end of time, and
>there isn't a thing he can do about it, at least not taxonomically speaking.

This could be combined with the idea of sponsors to create taxonomic
blackmail: "Unless you donate at least x dollars, we will name this
creature after you or your company..."

Actually, the ICZN rules have a code of ethics, which do not have the
authority of rules but are considered good taste.  In the 3rd edition
(1985), the fifth part of the code of ethics states that "No zoologist
should propose a name that, to his knowledge, gives offence on any
grounds."  The sixth part declares that intemperate language should be
avoided in favor of courtesy.

Dr. David Campbell

"Old Seashells"

Department of Geological Sciences
CB 3315 Mitchell Hall
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3315
USA

919-962-0685
FAX 919-966-4519

"He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The
Gold Bug