From:
Kev Lamprell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:14:25 +1000
I was surprised to read Patty's emial on the strangest fundraising effort for
taxonomic research, and I read with interest Davids reply.
It is nice to name a species after a deserving person and against the grain to
give it to someone as a financial reward but the way scientific research
funding is being cut by goverments it appears to be another straw to clutch at.

Many of us have had to resort to our own funds to complete our projects,
equipment, travel and photography do not come cheap and I would certainly be
tempted to name a poor innocent bivalve after some character with $5000 to
spare, but what would you put in the Etymology "named for Bill Smith for
weighing in five grand to help fund the project".
I do not think this is the first time this has been attempted and for sure it
wont be the last.
Kev