From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 12:28:19 -0700
James,

The words of caution by members of this list should be heeded. All too
often, studies such as yours, no matter how well intended, end up being
taken out of context and misused as supporting evidence by those who don't
fully understand environmental problems and have no vested interest in the
subject they're trying to legislate.

During the wide spread flooding in the American Midwest in 1994, a group of
concerned duck hunters moved hundreds of nests to higher ground and saved
thousands of birds from the rising water. When the authorities found out,
these samaritans were arrested and jailed because it is against the law to
disturb the nests of migratory birds.

The problem with protective legislation is that, those who are the most
concerned, the most knowledgeable and the most active in studying and
conserving a resource, are usually the ones persecuted by enforcement
agencies because they're activities are most easily identifiable by
association.

The late R. Tucker Abbott stated repeatedly (and loudly) that "amateur shell
collectors contribute more to the general knowledge of molluscan habitat
than any other group." Yet, the activities of these people are the first to
be attacked when legislators are looking for a target. Pollution,
development, natural disasters, weapons testing, military manuvers, beach
replenishment, channel dredging, bridge and dam building, and huge
commercial fishing operations are all conspicuously missing from these
studies and reports or their impact minimized as being "necessary" for the
general public good.

Not long ago, I saw a cartoon of a large ship which had run aground on a
coral reef, spilling tons of toxic fuel into the water. In the foreground
was a proffessor-type being dragged away (a shell in his hand) by two
uniformed officers, one of them pointing to a sign with his night
stick..."Protect Our Environment!"

Need I say more?

Kim Hutsell
Field Research, Marine Malacology