From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:36:16 -0700

Today, I was looking for endemic land snails adjacent to an oil field near Long
Beach, California.  The habitat was right but all I could find was one dead
shell...........Oh and, of course, many dozens of live, robust active Rumina
decollata.  For years, decollate snails have been sold in garden centers in
Southern California as a biological control for C. aspersa.  Now, they are not
uncommon in areas of secondary growth that seem to be prefered by other introduced
species.

I don't know if they feed on our native Helminthoglyptas but I can't imagine them
passing up a meal when it is available.  Clearly, we need to learn the lesson from
the destruction of endemic snail populations in Hawaii and other  Pacific islands:
We shouldn't use any biological controls for snail pests that we, in turn, can't
control.

Best regards,

Phil Liff-Grieff
La Crescenta, California