From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 12:16:11 -0700
Ross,

I think one of the deterrents for the serious amateur collector of
landsnails lies in the reliance on soft parts for identification.  Much of
landsnail identification relies on anatomical studies- specifically of
genitalia- that are beyond the skill set of most amateur shell collectors.

Landsnail literature has always been full of detailed drawings of dissected
gentalia that, I believe, could easily put off the less technically minded
collector- what we really want is good pictures of shells.

I also am seconding the comment about land snail collecting being a little
less pleasant than marine collecting.  Every time that I find myself up to
my elbows in leaf litter(with its bugs, worms and who knows what else), I am
amused by imagining having a first time collector along with me.  The task
is often dirty, unpleasant and brings you in close proximity to all sorts of
critters that one isn't really anxious to meet.

BUT, in defense of landsnails-
        * one can find them just about anywhere.  I have been able to collect
during business trips, family vacations, etc.  If               you know how to look,
they are waiting for you.

        *they are extremely diverse. Be it color, size, sculpture, or shape,
landsnails run the gamut of possibilities.

        *they offer a fascinating insight into the world of adaptation.  Want to
get hooked on landsnails? Just look at the the          incredible structures that
many snails have developed in their apertures!!

        *they help to make every collecting trip a success.  Found the reef or
beach or rocks devoid of shells this year?              Well, how about checking the
bushes (or the rocks or leaf litter) for the local landsnails?

Landsnails tend to be a little more subtle than your usual cowrie or muricid
but they have so much to offer the collector who is willing to spend time
with them.  In all, the dirt, bugs, snakes and funny looks from passers-by
are worth it.

Now, where do they offer those classes in snail dissection?

A landsnail lover,

Phil Liff-Grieff
La Crescenta, California