From:
Barbara Jouvernaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 20:05:53 +1200
The shell of my dreams is a large, perfect, sinistral Glory of the Seas
cone.
Years ago when I was about 12 years old, and an eager young shell maniac, I
read a novel about a man who was the sole survivor of a shipwreck. As he was
nearly drowning in the pounding surf near a deserted island, he suddenly
grasped an object in the sand. It seemed to bring him hope, and renew his
will to survive, so he held on tight to it and, with one last mamouth
effort, swum ashore. Once he recovered his senses, he was still holding the
smooth object, and discovered it was a beautiful, large cone shell. He had
no idea about shells, but because it was so beautiful, and had in some
strange way saved his life, he treasured it. The story went on to describe
his ordeals surviving on the desert island, and his eventual rescue and
return to civilization. There, he discovers that his precious shell is a
sinistral conus gloriamaris, and several keen collectors offer him a fortune
for it. He refuses to part with it, and a series of attempts to steal it and
kill him ensue. I wish I could remember the title or author, because I would
love to read it again. Does it ring any bells with anyone out there?
Anyhow, after reading this incredible story in my youth, how I dreamed of
having a shell like that!
Just this year, after many years of dreaming, I finally have a very nice
conus gloriamaris, which I treasure.
It is not left-handed, but who knows, maybe one day........