From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 01:37:52 -0400
Attention all Cymatium experts,
I have posted three pictures of a specimen I found at one of our Florida
Panhandle scallop dumps at the following URL:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=412573&a=6428971

At first I thought it was just a worn C. parthenopeum, but when I compared
it to my other specimens tonight, I realized there are some differences:
For one thing, the siphonal canal is very long. Next, the aperture is quite
light, without the dark markings of your average parthenopeum (and no, this
isn't a really worn shell -- the aperture still has a good gloss. Finally,
it is missing the typical varices of C. parthenopeum. Naturally, I'm hoping
it's something unusual (though it hardly ever is, right?).

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Jim Miller