From:
Emilio Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:37:50 -0400
Hola Dominic:
Don't throw away your cards and continue using them for the new shells
you
collect; the information in the computer is not safe. I have my
collection
annotated in paper until the number 280; then I made a program in Pascal
to put
the information and I did not use more the paper; the numbers grew to
600; but
I went sick for several years and during this time I almost did not see
my
collection and I almost did not use the computer; when I was better the
hard
disk did not work and also all my backups were bad. I lost all the
information
regarding numbers 280-600, but the information of the first 280 in the
paper
was fine; also I found some slips of paper where I write about a shell
before I
pass it to the computer; they were very useful. Now I have a crash; I
had
bought a zip and I was backuping; I had made back ups of several files
about
poetry, art, etc., but I had not pass the shell information; I lost it.
Bur
this time I have annotated it in paper; the only thing I have lost was
the time
consumed writing it in the computer and several names that I forgot to
put in
the paper, but I have all the other information about them.

The computer is very useful, and I use it, but the last back up must be
in
paper.

I use Access; it is very easy to begin with it, and also it is very easy
make changes; it has a trick to make a backup.

Saludos
Emilio.

DOMINIC RAWLINGSON PLANT escribis: