From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:56:53 -0400
Kim C. Hutsell wrote:

> Wilson, Sara L. wrote:
> >
> > Several of you have commented that shore collecting in California is
> > illegal.  Does that mean live specimens only, or is that ALL collecting?
> > Maybe the following will help clean up some of the confusion about California shelling.
>
> The laws regarding shell collecting on the California coastline are rather ambiguous
> without doing some research.  Without quoting it verbatum, it boils down to the intent
> to protect living intertidal invertebrates from the high tide mark to one thousand feet
> off shore (this also includes the off-shore islands).  This would cover almost
> everything left exposed by the lowest tides.  Because of the way the law was written, it
> is open to some interpretaion where SCUBA is involved, but most Fish & Games wardens
> will hand out a hefty fine for collecting live animals of any kind within the
> 1000-foot zone whether taken on SCUBA, snorkle, free diving or wading.
>
> There are a few exceptions to the 'hands off' laws where California mollusks are
> concerned.  These are mostly common bivalves and have seasons and bag limits spelled out
> in the Fish & Game regulations.  Anyone intending to collect these species must also be
> in possession of a valid California fishing license.  But this is only required for LIVE
> mollusks. There is no law governing dead shells as long as they are taken outside areas
> designated as parks or reserves.
>
> Collecting on SCUBA outside these areas and beyond the 1000 foot limit is less
> restrictive but is still governed by season and bag limits.  If you're planning to
> collect in California...get a license, a map of parks and reserves (so you can stay
> clear of them), and a copy of the California Fish & Game regulations. And...read the
> latter cover to cover. It's a little known fact that digging tools of any kind (shovels,
> rakes, etc.) are prohibited on the beach or in lagoons after sundown.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> K. Hutsell
The problem with all this when we dove in Calif. is that how can you
prove you were 1000 feet from shore???
We collected on the Santa Barbara Coast for years and never saw a Fish
'n Game Warden...They had one warden for 150 miles of beach...and the
only thing they checked were fishing licenses.
and again...how can they know how far out you are?  This is the craziest
law.
I love the way these people put through these laws.  Like only
collecting two of each species on Sanibel...How does a police officer
know the diffeence in species???
It really is a joke!
But...be careful anyway.  I believe we should obey the laws...but they
are comical.
--
Jim & Bobbi Cordy
Specializing in Self-Collected