From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:58:04 -0600
Nancy,

I was kind of laying back hoping someone would have some really good answers
for you about Strombus.  Since that hasn't happened, you'll have to do with
my attempts at two of your three questions (I have no idea about protoconch
differences in rollers but they generally look different enough that you
should be able to tell them apart).  Now for the other two questions.

> How do you tell the difference between Strombus alatus and pugilis; I have
> seen many pictures of both 'species' that look too much the same for my
eye
> to identify which is which.

Here I quote Walls, from his book Conchs, Tibias, and Harps, dicussion of S.
pugilis on page 76.  "The bright colors and erect angle of the lip are
usually sufficient to tell it [Strombus pugilis] from S. alatus, but the
penult spines being longer than the shoulder spines is also a good
character."  He also mentions that intergrades exist.  So, the spines on the
next to last whorl being longer than those on the last whorl is your
strongest defining trait (although the general characteristics of being
lighter in color and weight, shorter, brighter in color, more delicately
sculpted -- all tend to provides clues for identification).

And....  is Busycon contrarium a synonym for Busycon sinistrum?  Yes, the
names are synonymous -- but the story is anything but simple.  For a full
rendition of the story, checl out the Jacksonville Shell Club web page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~werank/jacksonv.htm

That is the general web page so if you want to go directly to the story
(you'll be missing a lot of good stuff) try:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/selected.htm

And then read the article entitled something like "Busycon Taxanomic
Travails."  Hope this helps,

Tom