From:
"P.L. van Pel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:16:56 +0200
Since several years we are using in the Zoological Museum Amsterdam dept.
of Malacology, mac's with the database filemaker pro 2.1 for registration
and labelling the museum collections without any problems.

To insert new data in the file we use a 'motherfile'.
In there are now about 35.000 records.
In the lookup field of this motherfile we insert the species name and its
synonyms (if there are any).
We are very satisfied about this, because when we type the name or synonym
in the lookup field of our 'workfile', all the necessary items like family,
species, author etc appear.
Being aware that FM pro 2.1 is getting 'old', we decided to change over to
FM pro 4.1.
After installing, our system did not work because this modern version only
accepts the same value in the lookup field as in in the motherfile. In
other words, when there are several synonyms in this lookup field we cannot
type one item, but have to type all the contents of the motherfile field.
After phoning the technical staff of FM pro in the nertherlands, we were
told that it is impossible to pick out just one word, so this makes a
change to FM 4.1 for us a problem.
We don't believe it and cannot accept it.
Now our question:

Is there someone in the (molluscan) world who met this same problem and is
capable to solve this. We should like to hear this and you can mail us
directly on <[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask] nl>