Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:57:56 EDT
If your Amoria molleri has only minor roughness on the lip, that is to say,
if the body whorl and spire are totally smooth and free of growth mends and
scars all the way around, then it is an unusually good specimen.  This
species is notorious for scars and mends of various kinds.  They must live a
rough life.  I have had perhaps 60 to 80 specimens over the years, and I
doubt that more than a dozen of them were real gem condition.  Of course,
part of the problem is that even the smallest scar shows up clearly on the
uniformly colored peach surface, whereas a small scar would blend into the
pattern on a strongly marked species.  $45 to $50 is the top end of the price
range for this species.  An extra large, absolute gem specimen might bring
that price.  For an average size specimen with minor lip roughness, I think
$25 to $30 would be more realistic.
Regards,
Paul M.