From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:54:42 +0100
To Ab experts.
        Today I received a package of shells from a collector in Moscow,
Russia. In the package was a shell labeled Haliotis ancile Reeve, 1846 from
Abau-Minkar Is., Near Murghada, Egypt.  Looking at the new (1998)Daniel
Geiger Haliotidae  article in the  Nautilus 111(3):85-116 I found that
Haliotis ancile was a synonym of Haliotis rubra  Leach, 1814.  The only
problems I can see is the shape of the shell and the locality in which it
was found.  Ancile (Compendium) is from the area (Suez) located on the data
tag of the shell received from Russia whie Rubra(ruber) is from Australian
waters.
        Now comes the question.  Is Haliotis ancile really a synonym of
Haliotis ruber (rubra)?  I've compared the two specimens that are in my
collection and they are not similar.
        ANNOUNCEMENT:  Congratulations to Dr. Daniel Geiger for his
marriage.  We wish you the best of luck.
Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California