From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:05:35 -0600
Nancy,

Your discolored Struthiolaria look like shells undergoing a "fossilization"
process.  You can find similar shells (Busycon) in Florida waters.  Always a
dead shell.  Maybe even buried in anaerobic conditions for a while so that
chemical changes, transfers, whatever could take place.  Then washed ashore
where the process is stopped.  It's a theory anyway and it will be
interesting to hear what others have to say.

Tom Eichhorst (in New Mexico, USA)