From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 17:18:39 -0400
Over the past ten years Busycotypus canaliculatus (Linnaeus, 1758)
have not been particularly common on N. E. Florida (Duval Co.) beaches
with Busycon sinistrum and Busycon carica being the dominant species.
However, over the past two years, B. canaliculatus has become the
most common species (don't ask me why). Interestingly, a large
percentage of B. canaliculatus found have a "snow white shell" with
no coloration at all.  This morning I examined 38 specimens of which
five were pure white.  The coloration of the animal was no different
than those which produced normally colored shells.

Other than Harry Lee and Phil Poland who have an albino specimen(s)
in their collection, I would be interested in hearing from others who
have collected pure white specimens or have pure white specimens
in their collection in regards to where they were collected, how
common they were in the resident population, and the size. Thanks in
advance.

PS:  Digital images (JPEG) of the living five white specimens are
available on request.

Regards,

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
~~~~~~~~~
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm