From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:06:17 -0400
Dear Paul,

P. grandis (Say, 1829) could have been introduced by adventitious means
(e.g. on fish-stock).  I don't think it is native to your "island."  My
money is on U. cataracta; keep us posted.

Harry

At 07:57 PM 10/9/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Harry,
>
>Thanks for your input.  Actually several people did contact me
>privately.  The species you suggest have been mentioned more than once,
>as has Pyganodon grandis.  I have sent some specimens to a couple of
>knowledgeable people, so hopefully will have a definitive answer soon.
>The shells are thin and toothless.  As for the "pond" they were found
>in, it is hardly deserving of the name.  It's a tiny, presumably
>manmade, water-filled depression about 50 to 60 feet in diameter, and
>not more than 4 feet deep.  A little, shallow canal about 6 feet wide
>passes under a small footbridge, to a similar pond on the other side.
>When I was there last week, the water-filled area (due to drainage of
>the pond) was not more than 25 to 30 feet wide.
>
>Paul M.

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm