From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 02:25:59 -0400
Dear Ellen,

I don't know your zone in Connecticut or Conneticut, as I am from Austria
in Europe but also
collector of landshells or snails. But I want tell you that I believe that
you should be able to find
landsnails nearly everywhere, from gardens, to meadows and slopes, to
bushes to fields and
plains, up to hills or mountains, in forests or rocky zones, under leaves.
I don't know anything
about the habitats in your country but I hope you'll find some of these to
collect or to count
landsnails. Most important to count snails or to collect them is also to
take some earth and
leaf litter to sort them out for microshells, as some Vertiginidae or other
smaller families, like
Discidae or Punctidae, as you can find species starting up from about 2 mm.
You should also go to marshes or reed looking for land snails which are
very dependent from
humidity and which are living near waters.
I hope this helps you
with best regards
Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
private:
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.netwing.at/nisters
office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
e-mail: [log in to unmask]