From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:19:19 -0400
Dear Thomas, Dear Kurt, Dear Conchlers,

it's really a nice image and it is Melanoides tuberculatus (O. F. Müller,
1774) - Fam. Thiaridae.
It is not only existing in SE-Asia, but also in North-Africa (Tunisia), but
nearly introduced
everywhere also in Austria. It is further one of the most beloved aquarium
snails and
you can find this species in nearly every acquarium.
with best shelling regards
Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
private:
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.netwing.at/nisters
office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at

> Melanoides tuberculatus is what I'd call it....an introduction from
> southeast Asia.....Kurtles
>
> At 01:32 PM 10/16/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >Okay you freshwater buffs.  I just received the following image of a
> >freshwater snail from a well fed pond in Texas (10 miles north of
Edinburg).