From:
Dennis Nieweg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:18:45 +0200
Maybe you can see if there was any Amerindian activity in Maryland, if this
is the case it can be an artefact or brought to the site for food. It also
can be a fossil. Difficult to tell without seeing it. Greetings from
holland, Dennis

At 19:44 24-10-00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello there shell lovers!  I'm Nadine and I am a newbie to this forum and to
>shell collecting in general.  Actually, I don't really collect shells, I
>just appreciate their beauty.  However, recently I found a conch shell
>buried deep in the ground along a path in a wooded area in Catonsville,
>Maryland and I am a bit perplexed.  I'm not sure how it got there because as
>far as I know that area was never covered with water (at least not anytime
>in this era.)  I don't believe that someone buried the conch there because
>in  the soil around it there were micro shells and silt like sand which
>points to some form of preexisting oceanic environment (but the historical
>landscape records of Maryland does not support this).  The conch looks
>pretty old and is very heavy.  I am very curious about its age.  I would
>like to know if there is any way to tell the age of a conch shell.  Also, if
>it is a very old shell, can someone guestimate a price?  The shell has two
>holes in it and a series of lines, not cracks, but depressed lines that run
>around it resembling the lattice pattern found in one's skin.   Can any one
>help me with this?<HTML>
><HEAD>
><TITLE>Help A Newbie Find Out About Her Conch</TITLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
><FONT SIZE="2">Hello there shell lovers! &nbsp;I'm Nadine and I am a newbie
to this forum and to shell collecting in general. &nbsp;Actually, I don't
really collect shells, I just appreciate their beauty. &nbsp;However,
recently I found a conch shell buried deep in the ground along a path in a
wooded area in Catonsville, Maryland and I am a bit perplexed. &nbsp;I'm not
sure how it got there because as far as I know that area was never covered
with water (at least not anytime in this era.) &nbsp;I don't believe that
someone buried the conch there because in &nbsp;the soil around it there
were micro shells and silt like sand which points to some form of
preexisting oceanic environment (but the historical landscape records of
Maryland does not support this). &nbsp;The conch looks pretty old and is
very heavy. &nbsp;I am very curious about its age. &nbsp;I would like to
know if there is any way to tell the age of a conch shell. &nbsp;Also, if it
is a very old shell, can someone guestimate a price? &nbsp;The shell has two
holes in it and a series of lines, not cracks, but depressed lines that run
around it resembling the lattice pattern found in one's skin.
&nbsp;&nbsp;Can any one help me with this? &nbsp;</FONT>
></BODY>
></HTML>

Dennis C.Nieweg