From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:50:04 -0500
Sharon,

There are essentially 2 types of optical microscopes: compound microscopes
that reverse the image (left becomes right, up becomes down) &
stereomicroscopes (=dissecting), which do not reverse the image they
produce. For shell work get a stereomicroscope. Beware that some companies
advertise cheap monocular microscopes that produce unreversed images as
"steromicroscopes". You can't have stereovision with a monocular microscope;
a stereomicroscope has to be binocular.

Stay away from cheap scopes. The problem is you won't be able to tell what
you are missing-in terms of image quality-until you have used a better
scope. Therefore, if you can afford it buy an expensive (~1,500-2,000$)
stereomicroscope from a well-known microscope manufacturer, such as Olympus,
Nikon, etc. You will not regret it.

Aydin